Stretch Marks: My Body Confidence Journey

Stretch Marks: My Body Confidence Journey

“Is it bad to have stretch marks?” This is in the top 4 questions when doing a search on Google for stretch marks.

I don’t find it hard to believe and I find it very very sad.

Stretch marks

I’ve noticed that mostly stretch marks are associated with being “fat” or overweight or pregnancy but ask yourself this.

Do you really know anyone who has not got a stretch mark?

As children and adults our bodies change all the time, yes it may be pregnancy, you might gain weight, loose weight or go through a growth spurt. All of these things are so common. I belive that we have been conditioned into thinking we have to look a certain way. Who’s responsible for this. Well, this could go on for a while.

Parents, schools, fashion industry, social media, designers and so on. I’m not going to sit here and lie that i’m an expert in these things and I’m certainly no historian of fashion either. But conditioning has certainly been partly responsible for the way we feel about ourselves. Only you change change to the way you feel about yourself and awareness is the key.

My stretch marks and me

I’ve been blogging for just over 1 year now. It started because I wanted to raise awareness and confidence in others and myself to feel good about the way I look. But I fell into a circle I think, I love beauty products and it felt “safer” for me to write about beauty, artificial things like make up and skincare (of course I still love these) but what was I achieving? Comparing what I didn’t have to others that had it and my blog wasn’t helpful for me. Now, I feel like I have my focus back now and this is why I’m writing this post.

Buying clothes to hide my stretch marks

I like to buy nice underwear and swimwear. But I feel like no one wants to see my stretch marks so i’ll opt for an all in one or granny knickers to hide it all away.  Lets spin it 0n it’s head. Slim people can also have stretch marks, and they are always edited out of photos.

Underwear from https://www.hunkemoller.co.uk/uk_en/

This site caters for all and has plus size underwear too!

FYI, stretch marks are not evil, they will not make you lesser of a person, they cannot take away your achievement, they DO…not…make…you…ugly.

I really love that over the past year we have started seeing a shift to “being real” and more online fashion retailers are using unedited photos of their models showing their real beauty.

I would like to thank my fellow plus size bloggers for inspiring me to do this post and get my most hidden parts of my body out for all of you to see!

13 Comments

1. Charlene McElhinney
    April 21, 2018 / 9:50 pm

I am SO proud of you for sharing this. SO SO proud. And you should be too. You look amazing and I love absolutely everything you have said. You’re spot on. I needed to read this! <3 <3 <3 <3

2. April 22, 2018 / 7:52 pm

You are very beautiful. ❤️
    I may or may not have stretch marks. I don’t really know or I haven’t seen any. And just as I was typing that I remembered I have some on the side of my boobs. Lol.
    I don’t mind them. I emvrace my imperfections but sometimes it really does affect my self-esteem. I’d like to think I’m getting over it though. ☺

3. April 22, 2018 / 8:06 pm

Keeping being confident in your skin babe! You look great.

4. April 22, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Great post! Thank you so much for sharing this. It also can help another women. You look amazing!

5. April 22, 2018 / 8:18 pm

6. April 22, 2018 / 8:45 pm

I agree. We’re conditioned to constantly compare, and try to look ‘perfect’. There’s no such thing, and it’s so easy for all of us to forget that.

PS. You look amazing, and as a fellow lingerie fan, I love the underwear!

7. April 23, 2018 / 1:31 am

You look beautiful in all these pictures. Even the people we don’t think have stretch marks actually have them – they’re just really good at hiding them! I’ve had them and for a while, my biggest battle was cellulite but I’ve come to terms with it. If ya can’t change it, embrace it 😉 Thanks for sharing this.

8. Bree
    April 23, 2018 / 2:38 am

Wonderful share, thank you for your honesty!

9. April 23, 2018 / 2:42 pm

Full disclosure here, I don’t have stretch marks and I did have two babies but at the age of 63 and faced with the changes of aging skin, crepe-y skin has taken the place of stretch marks. So yeah, there’s always something for us women to feel weird about when it comes to our bodies.

I do love the pretty underclothes that you’ve bought but most importantly, I love that you’re that confident that you did this. I think you have more bravery than I.

10. April 23, 2018 / 6:02 pm

Stretchmarks are a part of our body, they mean that the body has changed and evolved over time. There’s nothing wrong with stretchmarks but our mindset. I have some on my thighs (a lot actually) but I just won’t let myself be bothered by them. Usually we give them way too much credit, people around us don’t even notice them most of the time 😀 We should all love our body for the way it is.
    Thank you for sharing, loved this post 🙂

11. Kenze Clarke
    April 23, 2018 / 11:13 pm

You’ve got lots of confidence……Great Post

12. April 24, 2018 / 2:27 am

You are amazing! Thank you for sharing.

13. April 29, 2018 / 5:35 pm

Well well well just came across this post, it made me stop and click on it and read!!!
    I have to say Gemma this is a great post and your images are fab, yes stretch marks are normal and your so right they do NOT MAKE ANYONE UGLY OR LESS ATTRACTIVE! they are marks that’s it!! Love it!!! 👌 #keptitreal x